Thursday, May 03, 2007

Rewrites: Some Encouragement

Here is a link to a wonderful piece on Poynter Online, about rewrites:

Let's Try It One More Time: A Tale of Three Best-Sellers

How encouraging to know that when a rewrite morphs into a REWRITE, we're not alone.

When I began my last rewrite, I naively thought I would just be cutting and pruning, correcting a few punctuation errors, etc. After all, the book was basicly perfect. I only needed to smooth it out.

That philosophy got me through the second chapter. Then I started over.

One year later, I am half-way through. The word count has been whacked by 30%. I hardly even look at the previous draft when I sit down at the computer. Good to learn that this is all normal, and this is what writers do. Thank you, Poynter Institute, Michael Chabon, Arthur Golden, and David Guterson.

No comments: