Thursday, November 15, 2007

Norman Mailer On Writing

I've had the book for two years but I'm finally reading The Spooky Art: Thoughts on Writing, Mailer's book on writing. How edifying to learn that bouts of insecurity, financial panic, disillusionment, and disgust are normal . . . if Norman Mailer's experience could be considered normal. At least, they're not abnormal.

Here are Mailer quotes (and I'm only on pg. 57):


  • when a writer can't find the nuance of an experience, he usually loads up with adjectives.

  • Mega-best-seller readers want to be able to read and read and read--they do not want to ponder any truly unexpected revelations.

  • if I wanted my work to travel further than others, the life of my talent depended on fighting a littel more, and looking for help a little less.

No comments: